Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Benefiting from Conflict


I benefited from conflict the day I quit trying to win.  I heard a professor say, “Conflict can be cancerous or creative.”  His insight helped me see how my determination to make my point in disagreements kept me from solving problems, encouraging communication and sustaining important relationships.  

I am mindful that others fear conflict.  Their fear causes them to hide in hopes their withdrawal from the battle will soften the emotional intensity and protect their feelings.  Others also fearing combat surrender principle for the sake of peace.  Yet others will become highly compliant.  They justify this response on the basis of love and of rescuing relationships.

Conflict, however, introduces the opportunity to express concern for the injured, neglected or offended party.   A spirit of caring sets the tone for dealing with friction and misunderstanding.  Listening and clarifying further advance the possibility that conflict can be resolved. 

The New Testament Church was particularly adept at handling disagreement that would impede mission-achievement.   Read more at http://usacanadaregion.org/training-moduleshttp://www.usacanadaregion.org/training-modules.  Click on Resolving Conflict. 

Contributed by Dr. Lyle Pointer

No comments:

Post a Comment