Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Inviting the Unchurched


I live in the Northwest now.  The Bible Belt is several notches away.  The Midwest has not pushed into the frontiers of “unchurchdom.”   When I invited people to church in the Midwest and South, they would usually say, “I know I need to go.”  Not in the Northwest.  I hear comments like, “My husband is an Anglican.”  I was caught by surprise.  Clearly she did not want to consider an invitation to worship.

At other times when I invite people to church, I hear additional strange responses, “We would make lousy recruits for your church.”  “I am not into that.” “I quit church years ago.” “I don’t want to talk about it.”

These responses feel strange to me because I love God’s Church.  I am (but not always) proud of God’s people.  Worshiping week by week nurtures my soul, inspires my best motives and ushers me into God’s presence.  I want others to experience the same.  So I intend to keep asking.

Here are some ways that encourage the unchurched to respond favorably (but not always):

  • “Come, see what you think.”  A taste and see approach makes it easier for a person to respond positively.   Refrain from saying “you ought.”  Preaching the third commandment with the unchurched has proven to raise resistance.
  • Make a positive prediction.  “I imagine you will be pleased with what you experience.  The people at my church are welcoming.”
  • Express excitement about your congregation and what God is doing.
  • Ask the unchurched again.  And again.  National surveys show Americans want to be asked.  And they want to take their time in considering the invitation.
Contributed by Dr. Lyle Pointer


Recommended Resources

Inviting the Unchurched training module

No comments:

Post a Comment